Wednesday 10 February 2016

Hello!

Well, it's been a while! Life has been extreeeeemely busy for me since we last caught up. I mentioned in my last post that I had met the wonderful Imogen Di Sapia, founder of Bright Moon Theatre. Well, a group of like-minded, mostly Brighton based folk started meeting at Imogen's studio for a monthly Puppet Circle, and the long and short of it is, that together we cooked up a dark and beautiful collection of Halloween inspired puppetry pieces, which became a show called The Crossing. We performed this at the absolutely delightful Bom Banes in Brighton. If you are within travelling distance of Brighton but have never been to Bom Banes, I insist you stop what you are doing and make every effort to go there as soon as possible. It's the quirkiest, most special little jewel you will come across for a very long time. It's...it's...oh just go there. You'll see what I mean.

For those that are still here...my own portion of the show was a retelling of Bluebeard. Re writing a folk tale for puppet theatre, making the puppets, devising directions and sounds...oh I learnt so much, with lots of help from my Bright Moon friends. I must say, not being a willing performer, I almost didn't go through with it. But I am so glad I did - it was a fab evening, and our little audience did seem to enjoy themselves. I had expert puppeteering from Imogen, Lily Waugh and Katie Lenton. Here are a couple of pics - of the puppets themselves and of them in action on the evening.








It would have been a shame to end it there, so we performed again, with extra music and storytelling, at the incredibly beautiful (and sadly to be bulldozed for development) Zu Studios in Lewes.

Anyway I feel you have heard more than enough from me for one day...but I have two treats for you for tomorrow! I will show you how I created the creepy Steampunk-inspired forbidden chamber (as seen above)...and I will share some thrilling news, too!









No comments: