Wednesday 29 June 2011

Printmaking


Well the massive news is that after 3 years of longing, complaining, hinting, making do and general miserable failure, Fluffycloud Studios finally sports a PRINTING PRESS! Albeit a tiny, bench top one - but it is mine! I had a very quick go today and printed the two plates above - not as dark as the presses I used to use at the BIP studios but only to be expected I suppose. The woman on the left was etched using environmentally friendly materials which so far are as rubbish as I expected them to be - but I will have to persevere and get to know how to use them, because I can't bugger about with nitric acid in my studio with no fume cupboard etc.

The top prints are just experiments to try out backgrounds. Oh I really need to get this project underway and stop faffing around!

I've also been making some 3D models, but those projects are so new and may not even go anywhere, so I won't post them up just yet.

Enough about me. How are you?

4 comments:

Sue Westcott said...

Woo hoo! Well done on finally getting a printing press.

Liza said...

Thanks Sue! xx

Anonymous said...

How do you get the netting texture on your print?

Liza said...

It's by using a soft ground on the etching plate. You apply the soft ground, and then put the fabric or other texture over it (you can use bubble wrap etc) and put it through the press lightly. Then peel it off, put stop-out varnish where you don't want the texture to be and bite in acid. This is a very quick explanation but there's plenty of info in books and probably online too. x